Nowadays, with energy prices rising continuously, both consumers and enterprises are looking for ways to effectively save energy - but without changing the familiar working style.First and foremost, benefits result from energy - and therefore cost savings. According to several researches, during nights or weekends an average of 20 % of all computers are not shut down at all. Lunch breaks or long absences from the desk not even mentioning.
Furthermore many computes are idle - often during the whole night - to process certain, long operations that would occupy the machine during the day. The major disadvantage -even after finalizing all operations, the computer needs energy during being idle until the user returns the next morning or after the weekend.
This today’s typical behavior does not only waste huge amounts of energy but also shortens the machine’s life cycle. Compared to older computer generations today’s machines are designed to be switched on and off several times per day.
Especially desktop hard drives are not designed for continuous operations and therefore through switching off the computer they are better protected than overused.
Apart from wasting energy, security also poses a huge problem. Computers that run for nights can be attacked more easily than those being switched off. There are many arguments and benefits - both money and security wise - that argue to a minimization of uncontrolled running times of systems.
The key arguments why a professional PC Power Management is a "must have":
- It is relevant for the shareholder value: "Green Commitment" influence stock values by up to 33% and profits by up to 9% - and it’s increasing
- 15% -30% of all PCs aren‘t shut down after work or over night
- It makes IT safer. Shutting down unused PCs removes potential points of attack
- It makes life easier for IT staff. Systems can be remotely started, safely shut down and managed network wide from one central place
- 90+% of Wake On LAN success rate
- Carbon dioxide emissions related to the operation of servers and PCs account for around 2% of the annual global total
- Inspire employees: Employees feel a deep sense of pride working in organizations that do their part for the environment.Staff are increasingly green aware and want to see their company contributing to the solution, rather than exacerbating the problem.
- It saves money. PC Power Management software can cut energy costs by $20-$80 dollars per PC and per year. Depending on the branch this can mean 10%-20% of the total energy costs of an enterprise
- Green Goes Mainstream - An increasing number of stakeholders such as the management, investors and customers are going to want to know what you’re doing to comply with, support or advance your company’s efforts to become more environmentally responsible
- Tax related savings
- Secure rebates & incentives offered by utility companies in the US & Canada
- And many others...
Find out how easy and complete PC Power Management solutions like Auto Shutdown Manager are today. It not only makes IT's life easier, but it also improves the overall availability and security - while saving huge amounts of energy, CO2 and money!
Take our free and easy Tool Network Uptime Analyzer to find out how many PCs are really left ON overnight and at weekends.